February 2018 Newsletter
Herbal Times Newsletter
Girl Scout Building 6:00 pm
Hello Fellow Herbalists!
We are going to do a cookie exchange for Valentine’s Day so bake up some herb cookies for the occasion. The guys can make cookies to so get cooking. Of course this is optional. Let have some fun. Don’t forget dues this month. I know a lot of people have been sick and are healing. I know several people had the flu. Hopefully we all can get better. I am looking forward to the new year and warmer weather.
Inside the newsletter is the 2018 budget. We did not elect officers at the December meeting. So we will do this at the February meeting. We did not have a meeting in December so there are no minutes enclosed. The meal at Saratoga was very good and we had a lot of fun Connie and Bonnie were there and it was so good to see them. Connie Cooper sent me the list of things to do and that is enclosed so take a look. Also the calendar is enclosed. We have changed the board meeting to the first Tuesday at 9:00 am at the Girl Scout Building. Also Vicki Cochran volunteered to take over as Secretary so we need to vote on this. She will serve until the end of 2018. I met with some of the members about programs for the meetings everyone had great ideas. So I will get everything scheduled for the speakers. I am trying to be a better President. This meeting is a cookie exchange. I know the scholarship committee is working hard and getting applications. Catherine John has put the application on our web site for the kids to use. It is wabashvalleyherbsociety.com if you have not been on the web site please check it out. Connie Cooper maintains our Facebook page she is doing a really good job check that out too. Last time I talked to Virgil we had 22 vendors. Connie Cooper and Catherine John volunteered to man the WVHS booth at the Master Gardeners Seminar this spring thank you so much.
Things to do:
1. February 9, 10, 11. Mt. Vernon 30th Annual Midwestern Herb and Garden Show. Speakers all day Friday and Saturday. For more detailed descriptions on classes go to www. midwesternherbandgardenshow. com Plants for sale, free classes, Garden Art, Free Admission. Sponsored by Herbs for Health & Fun Club and Mt. Vernon Convention and Visitors Bureau.
2. February 17. "Spring Into Gardening", 8am - 12noon. At the LifeSpan Center, Mattoon, Illinois. More info: Call 217-345-7034. Register online: http://go.illinois.edu/ SpringIntoGardening Sponsored by University of Illinois and Coles County Master Gardeners. 3 speakers. Silent Auction and Light Refreshments.
3. "Gardeners Gathering on March 10, 9am to 4pm. Wabash Valley Fairgrounds. Open to Public. $1 admission or 1 canned good to be donated to local food bank. Public Welcome. Speakers, vendors, Gardening Information and food available. Free Parking.
4. April 12 (Thursday. 8:15am registration with program at 8:45am. Three speakers. Cost is $20 which includes breakfast, materials, speakers and vendors. Held at Cornerstone Baptist Church, 15197 US HWY 150, Paris, Illinois. Registration deadline is April 6, 2018. To register call 217-465-8585 or online at go.illinois.edu/aprilinparis Can receive 3 credit hours continuing education credit.
5. Friday, April 27 10:00am to 4:00pm and Saturday, April 28 9:00am to 4:00pm. Greene County Flower & Patio show. Master Gardener Plant Sale, variety of Vendors with plants, Garden Art, and much more. Free tree to first 300 visitors. Located at Greene County Community Event Center, 4530 W State Road 54, Bloomfield, Indiana. Free Admission. Sponsored by the Greene County Master Gardener Association.
6. The Evening Thyme Garden Club of Marshall, Illinois presents the 20th Annual Garden Fair at the Clark County Fairgrounds on Saturday, April 28, 2018, 8:00am to 2:00pm. Plants, Shrubs, garden Decor, Crafts, Food, Prizes. Free admission and parking. www.eveningthymegardenclub. org
7. May 12. Wabash Valley Herb Society, Inc. Presents Spring Thyme Plant and Herb Faire on Saturday, May 12th 8:00am to 3:00pm. Rain or shine. Wabash Valley Fairgrounds, 3901 S US HWY 41, Terre Haute, Indiana. Admission free. Over 85 Garden and Craft Vendors.
February 24, 2018, 9am to 3pm. "Through the Garden Gate" sponsored by Arts and Flowers Garden Club. Washington Community Building, Eastside Park, 310 NE 21st St., Washington, Indiana. Vendors displaying garden decor and more!
Agenda Meetings 2018
Jan 9 9:00 am Board Meeting Girl Scout Building
Feb 6 9:00 am Board Meeting Girl Scout Building
Feb 14 6:00 pm Meeting Girl Scout Building
Mar 6 5:00 pm Board meeting Girl Scout Building
Mar 14 6:00 pm Meeting Girl Scout Building
Apr 3 9:00 am Board Meeting Girl Scout Building
Apr 11 6:00 pm Meeting Herb Garden Deming Park Ute Shelter
May 1 9:00 am Board Meeting Girl Scout Building
May 9 6:00 pm Meeting Girl Scout Building
May 11 9am-12pm Setup for Herb Faire Vigo Cty Fairgrounds
May 12 8am-3pm Herb Faire Vigo Cty Fairgrounds
May 16 6:00 pm Wrap up party Girl Scout Building
Field Trip To Be Announced
Jun 5 5:00 pm Board Meeting Pie Company
Jun 13 6:00 pm Meeting Girl Scout Building
Jul 3 5:00 pm Board Meeting Pie Company
Jul 11 6:00 pm Scholarship presentation Meeting Girl Scout Building
July 31 9:00 am Board Meeting Girl Scout Building
Aug 15 6:00 pm Meeting Girl Scout Building
Sept 4 9:00 am Board Meeting Girl Scout Building
Sept 12 6:00 pm Meeting Mary Jane Drakes Home
Oct 2 9:00 am Board Meeting Girl Scout Building
Oct 10 6:00 pm Meeting Treva and Virgil’s
Nov 6 9:00 am Board Meeting Girl Scout Building
Nov 14 6:00 pm Meeting Girl Scout Building
Dec 4 9:00 am Board Meeting Girl Scout Building
Dec 12 6:00 pm Christmas Dinner To Be Announced
WVHS Proposed Budget 2018
WVHS Proposed Budget 2018
Beginning Checking Act Balance (1/1/2018 ) $24,570.25
Herb Faire $26,000.00
Bus Trip (10 non members) $240.00
Master gardener seminar booth $75.00
Building Rental $410.00
Herb Faire (plants, advertising, food, craft supplies, postage) $13,000.00
Newsletter Printing & Postage $400.00
Meeting Supplies (tea, cups, plates napkins) $400.00
Safe Deposit Box (yearly) $31.00
Post Box Rental $64.00
Bus Trip (bus rental, food, addmission, doorprizes) $3,000.00
Garden maintenance $150.00
Vigo County Fair Premiums $75.00
First Financial CD $2,570.67